A shock absorber is not just one of the chassis elements responsible for the smooth ride of a vehicle. The vehicle steerability, road holding, and efficient performance of the safety shield largely depend on the shock absorber health. Shock absorbers are commonly believed to be expandable parts of vehicles through the evidence shows they are durable and load resisting. After a certain amount of time or mileage, the time comes when shock absorbers are to be replaced or repaired. The choice between repair and replacement will still be a disputable issue for a long time to come.
Let us take a closer look at the benefits and drawbacks of shock absorber repair.
The benefits include the following:
- An opportunity to save money - sometimes up to 70% of the cost of a new unit depended on the specific shock absorber.
- Well-repaired shock absorbers are as reliable as the new ones or sometimes even more. The reason is that the reworked and improved gland box better protects a piston rod guide and a packing gland of a shock absorber against physical impact.
- Speaking long-term, repairable and dismountable shock absorbers are cost-effective, and thus the next repair will cost less.
The drawbacks of the shock absorber repair are as follows:
- There is always a fact of human error, which may affect the quality of the repair. Only a reliable workshop stocked with specialized tools and staffed with seasoned mechanics can guarantee high-quality services.
- The repair cost of a low-budget shock absorber is almost or the same as the price of a new unit.
In light of the above said, the choice between purchasing a new shock absorber and rebuilding the old one should be based on the two factors: the cost comparison and the availability of quality repair.
The product line of MSG Equipment for shock absorber repair is represented by:
- Test bench MS1000+ for health assessment of all types of shock absorbers
- Filling system MS200 for mono-tube and twin-tube shock absorbers.
Learn more about the equipment for shock absorber repair on https://servicems.eu/